Basic Needs of a Husband and Wife
understanding and meeting the needs of your spouse
God’s Word declares that “a man [shall] leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh” (Genesis 2:24). This is a great mystery. One might assume that a man and woman would enter the covenant of marriage with a thorough understanding of one another’s needs and how to meet those needs. Usually, however, this is not the case.
Your spouse has many needs. Even if he or she is not consciously aware of all of these needs, when they are unmet, your spouse will exhibit sorrow, confusion, and frustration. As the Lord shows you how to meet these needs, you can avoid strife and prosper as “heirs together of the grace of life” (I Peter 3:7).
As you review the list of needs below, ask the Lord to give you understanding and sensitivity as you seek to meet the needs of your spouse. Ask God to give your spouse grace and wisdom to meet these needs in your life, through Christ. Give your expectations to the Lord, and ultimately trust Him to meet all your needs.
Seven Basic Needs of a Husband
- A man needs a wife who is loyal and supportive.
- A man needs a wife who honors his leadership.
- A man needs a wife who develops inward and outward beauty.
- A man needs a wife who will make appeals, not demands.
- A man needs a wife who understands his need for time alone with God.
- A man needs a grateful wife.
- A man needs a wife who will be praised by others.
Seven Basic Needs of a Wife
- A wife needs a husband who demonstrates spiritual leadership.
- A wife needs to know she is meeting her husband’s vital needs.
- A wife needs a husband who cherishes her.
- A wife needs a husband who protects her.
- A wife needs to have intimate communication with her husband.
- A wife needs a husband who honors her.
- A wife needs a husband who invests in her life.
Marriage is a lifelong commitment to love each other, which includes meeting one another’s needs. Such a commitment demands faithfulness, endurance, and sacrifice. A husband and wife should always be striving to deepen their relationship with the Lord and with one another. Make it your goal to rely on God’s grace and wisdom as you seek to bring glory to God through your marriage.